Best Treatment for Yeast Infection in Nigeria
Yeast Infection is common amongst women within and outside Nigeria. Research shows that the infection affects about 20% of women and 30% of pregnant women. As a result, many women keep searching for the best treatment for yeast infection to help themselves.
This review provides details of vaginal yeast infection, symptoms, causes, and ways to prevent yeast infections. You will also get to learn about yeast infection in men, the best treatment for yeast infection, and some frequently asked questions.
What is Vaginal Yeast Infection?
Also known as Vaginal Candidiasis, vaginal yeast infection is an infection caused by the overgrowth of fungus in the vagina. It is a fungal infection that causes itching, irritation, discharge, and redness of the vulva and vagina. This fungus is commonly known as Candida.
A lot of women experience a vaginal yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. The infection occurs mostly after puberty and before menopause.
Vaginal yeast infection cannot be transmitted sexually. However, some of its symptoms are similar to those experienced when you have an STI.
Symptoms of Yeast Infection
The symptoms of yeast infection include;
- Vaginal rash
- Redness of the vulva
- Soreness of the vagina
- Watery vaginal discharge
- Painful sexual intercourse in women
- Itching before and after menstruation
- Inflammation and swelling of the vagina
- Itching and burning sensation while urinating
- Profuse, thick, odorless, and whitish vaginal discharge
In men only:
- The moistness of the penis
- Itchiness and redness of the penis
- Thick and whitish substance on the penis cap.
Causes of Yeast Infection
Yeast Infection is mostly caused when a fungus known as Candida Albicans grows out of control. The overgrowth of this fungus can be caused by several factors.
- Hormonal Changes: Changes in the hormones during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and menopause often result in increased estrogen in the body. This leads to the disruption of the PH balance of the yeast in the vagina.
- Antibiotics: Women who use antibiotics are most likely to experience a yeast infection. Broad-spectrum antibiotics are capable of killing healthy bacteria in the vagina, thereby causing an overgrowth of yeast.
- Diabetes: An uncontrolled blood sugar level can cause yeast to overgrow especially in the vagina area.
- Sex: Yeast Infection can be contracted through oral-genital sex.
- Weakened Immune System: When the immune system which protects the body from harmful diseases is weak, the body becomes susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections like yeast infections.
How to Prevent Yeast Infections
You can prevent yeast infections through the following ways.
- Avoid hot tubs and having very hot baths
- Control your blood sugar levels if you have diabetes
- Avoid wearing tight-fitted underwear. Always put on cotton underwear
- Do not put on wet clothes like gym wears, a swimming suit, or workout clothes, for a long time. Change them as quickly as possible.
- Avoid engaging in oral sex.
- Do not use scented feminine products such as pads and tampons
- The unnecessary use of antibiotics should be avoided
- Change your pads, panty liners, and tampons regularly when on your monthly flow.
- Avoid douching. This involves engaging in vaginal irrigation. It can disrupt the balance of bacteria in your vagina, thus leading to yeast infection.
- Always wipe your vagina from front to back.
Best Treatment for Yeast Infection
There are various options available for the best treatment of yeast infection in Nigeria. They include; oral medications, creams/ointments, and suppositories. You can get them through a doctor’s prescription or purchase over-the-counter (OTC).
Best oral medications for the treatment of yeast infection in Nigeria
Some oral medications used for treating yeast infection include;
- Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin): This is a 100mg tablet effective for treating vaginal yeast infections. It can be taken for 7 days.
- Ketoconazole: Ketoconazole is a 200mg oral tablet used to treat fungal and yeast infections. Your doctor will determine the dosage depending on the severity of the infection. However, a typical dosage is taken once a day for up to 6 months.
- Itraconazole: This is used to treat serious yeast infections. It should not be taken by pregnant women or individuals who have liver or kidney disease. Also, if you are allergic to this drug or similar ones like ketoconazole and fluconazole, kindly avoid taking this medicine. This drug is available in oral capsules and oral solutions. Itraconazole capsule should be taken with food while the solution should be taken on an empty stomach.
- Fluconazole (Diflucan): Fluconazole is a one-dose tablet that treats fungal infections effectively. You only need to take a pill. If the symptoms persist after 2 days, you can take another pill.
- Nystatin: Nystatin is an antifungal medicine that comes as a liquid. Take nystatin liquid 4 times daily, after meals and before going to bed. Do not eat or drink before taking this drug. However, Nystatin begins to work after 2 days.
Best Creams/Ointments for the treatment of yeast infection in Nigeria
- Miconazole: This cream is for vaginal use only. Ensure you wash your hands properly before and after use. Use this medication once daily only at bedtime for about 7 nights. Miconazole comes with an applicator, so insert one applicator filled with the cream into your vagina.
- Butoconazole: While using butoconazole cream, avoid sharing with others. To apply, screw the applicator to the end of the tube and ensure you fill the applicator by squeezing the tube. Lie on your back, carefully insert the applicator tip high into your vagina and push the plunger to release the cream into your vagina.
- Nystatin: Nystatin creams and ointments are popularly known by the brand names; Trimovate, Nystaform HC, and Timodine. Apply the cream or ointment 2 or 3 times daily for a maximum of 7 days.
- Tioconazole: Tioconazole vaginal ointment is best applied using an applicator to get the correct measurement. You are advised not to use this medication with other vaginal products.
- Clotrimazole: You can insert clotrimazole cream into the vagina and on the skin around the vagina. Insert it into the vagina once a day for about 3 to 7 days and twice a day around the vagina for up to 7 days.
Best Suppositories for treatment of yeast infection in Nigeria
A suppository is a dosage form inserted into the rectum, vagina, or urethra of a male where it dissolves to exert its effect. The best available for treating yeast infection in Nigeria include;
- Terconazole: Insert one suppository into the vagina at bedtime for 3 nights in a row.
- Miconazole: For 100mg; one vaginal suppository at bedtime for 7 nights. For 200mg or 400mg; one vaginal suppository into the vagina at bedtime for 3 nights. For 1200mg; insert one vaginal suppository into the vagina at bedtime for one night only.
- Tioconazole: Insert one vaginal suppository into the vagina at bedtime for one night only.
- Econazole: Insert one vaginal suppository into the vagina at bedtime only for 3 nights.
Yeast Infection in Men
Men can also suffer from yeast infections. Those who engage in unprotected sex with women who have the infection will likely get infected. Also, diabetic male patients and men who are uncircumcised have a high tendency of getting yeast infections.
In addition, a moist environment increases the growth of Candida which can cause yeast infection in men.
To learn more about yeast in men, read our article on Treatment for Yeast Infection in men.
Yeast Infections are often mild and can be treated using OTC medications. However, most symptoms of yeast infection are similar to other health conditions. Therefore, kindly consult your doctor if symptoms persist.
If you’d love to read more similar health tips such as this, ensure you subscribe to our blog.
How long to wait for sex after yeast infection treatment?
It is best to wait for at least 24 hours after yeast infection treatment before having sex. However, if symptoms persist after treatment, you are advised to wait for a few days more. Nevertheless, you must see a doctor if you still notice symptoms of the infection after treatment. Your doctor might likely recommend another round of treatment.
What is the best yeast infection treatment for women?
The best treatment for yeast infection in women is Clotrimazole. It is very effective and also available in different forms, oral tablet, cream, and suppository.
Are there home remedies for treating yeast infections?
Yes, there are home remedies that can help with treating the infection. We will write about this soon.